[fw-wiz] ipchains * static nat * FTP

From: Keith.Morgan (Keith.Morganat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 09:52:05 PDT

    I have a customer running an ipchains based firewall.  Using ipmasqadm
    portfw we're doing static NAT to a webserver behind the firewall with
    private address space.  I've been searching around the net for some time
    trying to figure out how to open up FTP to a translated host behind the
    firewall.  And before you ask, yes the ip_masq_ftp.o module is loaded on the
    firewall, but this seems to only work for masqueraded hosts behind the fw
    making ftp connections out to the internet.  Reversing the process (without
    masq) doesn't seem to work.  The ftp server behind the firewall does *NOT*
    support passive mode file transfer.

    Is ipmasqadm portfw the wrong way to go with this?  Is ipmasqadm autofw the
    way to go?  I could use references to good documentation on the use of both
    portfw and autofw regardless of a solution to this problem.

    Anyone have a pointer or reference?  Or just example command syntax that
    would allow this?  Is is possible at all?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Keith T. Morgan
    Chief of Information Security
    Terradon Communications