Re: [fw-wiz] SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: manatworkyes moderator (devekboyat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 22:40:20 PDT

    I wrote

    > > So, to make this short (unlike you I'm lazy:-) In my opinion they cover
    > > about everything.

    Kevin answered :

    >The question is how many were covered "before" they were known
    >vulnerabilities?  That is the holy grail for the IDS crowd.  And if
    >your inbound policy would permit an attack, why wait for the firewall
    >vendor to add a signature instead of patching or blocking access?

    This is a very good question. I'd like to extend that question to other
    security solutions. IDS for examples: How many IDS systems can deal with the
    slapper worm ? How many AV blocks bugbear (Before it was publicly available
    ?)
    Do you (or anyone else) knwo if there is any *network based generic*
    security device that deals with the latest Solaris bug ?

    IMO, the SmartDefense stuff, is more then signature blocking. It looks for
    the roots of the problem. So, if SSLv2 is vulenrable, use only SSLv3.