Re: [fw-wiz] SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: Devdas Bhagat (dvbat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 23:00:58 PDT

    On 03/10/02 11:34 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:
    >
    > > >proftpd, vsftpd, pureftpd
    > > >Postfix/Qmail
    > >
    > > Is there any evidence that helps decide whether its more secure because
    > > its written better or because its used less?
    >
    > (A) Project history- Postfix and Qmail have held up well, proftpd erm,
    > hasn't.  I haven't followed the other two, since FTP is on my list of "Horribly
    > broken protocols I'll never support."
    I'll agree wuith this. Proftpd has not had a showstopping bug except for
    a DOS due to globbing (IIRC). There have been minor bugs, but none of
    them were the security kind.
    I haven't runa ftpd for quite some time, and when I was looking (about
    Nov/Dec 2000), proftpd was the best choice due to its easy config and
    relative security. Current status is a wholly differnt issue.

    > (B) Look at the code.
    This always works, but its a question of time on the security people's
    part.

    > (C) Developer history.
    Good stance to go by for first filtering.

    > (D) Developer's understanding of the protocol and its weaknesses.
    Difficult to judge rapidly. Since the weaknesses are usually at the
    boundaries. Also, the developers understanding of the language used.

    Devdas Bhagat