RE: [fw-wiz] Tunnel intruder

From: Desai, Ashish (Ashish.Desaiat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 07:26:51 PDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jim MacLeod [mailto:jmacleodat_private]

    Does anybody know of an actual incident where this attack was used,
    successfully or not?

    -----

    We have had mulitple instances where consulting company(s)
    were infected with the SQL worm and then when the VPN into
    our company, the worm would try in spread the infection
    within the company. The solution we deployed is put a firewall
     between the internal company network and the VPN termination
    point in the firewall. We can block a lot of things quickly with
    this firewall.

    There are folks trying to push out security policies to users
    remote desktops, ie. local maching firewall config, virus defn update...
    However, it raises some interesting
    policy problems if the machine is the user's personal machine
    and not a company supplied one.

    Ashish