Re: [fw-wiz] Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 05:15:15 PDT

    "Paul D. Robertson" wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Mike McCandless wrote:
    >
    > > I have seen an increase in (unsolicited) traffic to port 137 at my
    > > firewall. My default
    >
    > You're likely seeing one of the Windows-based worms.

    Hmm.  I would have thought that bugbear & co would result in port
    139 (nbsession) activity.

    Unicast port 137 (nbname) activity occurs whenever someone on a windows
    box does a reverse lookup of an IP address. In other words: as soon as
    you connect out to a service on a windows box that does a reverse
    address lookup it will send 137/udp datagrams to you, asking for
    your netbios name.

    Seeing a (non-drastic) increase could simply mean that your users
    are connecting out to more places than before, or that there are
    more dumbasses out on the 'net that don't block netbios outbound.

    (I personally drop 137/udp without logging, even though I'm a fascist
    logger in all other aspects.)

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden