Re: [fw-wiz] Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 04:57:04 PDT

    On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Mike McCandless wrote:

    > I have seen an increase in (unsolicited) traffic to port 137 at my
    > firewall. My default

    You're likely seeing one of the Windows-based worms.

    > firewall policy (using iptables) is to deny, so 137 traffic is not
    > getting through.  I have used Ethereal (a network sniffer) to see the
    > content of the UDP packets and the consistent theme is:
    >
    > In the Flags section - broadcast packet is 1 (I assume this means yes)
    > In the Queries section
    > - Name is a bunch of 0's and Workstation/Redirector in parens
    > - Type is NBSTAT
    > - Class is inet
    >
    > Can someone tell me what the source of these are?  I have done a reverse
    > DNS lookup on several source IPs and don't see any pattern.

    Likely  Bugbear, which is gaining significant momentum:

    http://www.trusecure.com/knowledge/hypeorhot/2002/bugbear090302.shtml

    We say "network shares," not explicitly "port 137"- either that's because
    of an update or because we mandate blocking of 137 in our customer base.
    There are links on that page to a few vendors who may give greater detail.

    I'm not sure if a scan of 36794 would turn up infected hosts, but it's
    likely.

    Paul