Re: [fw-wiz] Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 06:10:52 PDT

    On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

    > > know- I don't run Windows, so I haven't played with doing NetBIOS stuff
    > > and don't know what the normal programming sequence is for enumerating
    > > shares, and as we don't let customers expose NetBIOS ports at all, this
    > > was never high on my list of things to worry about.
    >
    > I've personally never seen share enumeration being done over port 137.
    > I have only seen it done over 139, and I guess it can be done over
    > port 445 as well.

    By "sequence" I meant "Do name lookup, then go enumerate shares."
    Depending on what the worm is written with, there could be a
    "go_check_for_shares()" that does a name lookup then enumerates the
    shares- sequence being a series of events, not a method.

    Sometimes the sequence of events can lead to clues about the author- and
    sometimes their toolset restricts how they perform certain functions (the
    last Windows malcode I had my hands on, for instance was written in
    Delphi- and I *know* from making feature requests and dealing with systems
    that can't talk SMTP right that most Delphi authors use components that
    they have no control over- those may have a particular sequence of events,
    or all the common examples of "how to do $foo" may use a particular
    sequence, such as "get computer name from IP address" then "go look for
    open shares.")  I simply don't know enough about Windows programming to
    know if doing the name lookup gains something, or is normal, or rather is
    an artifact of a particular toolset (we have folks who track Windows
    malcode, I'm not one.)

    Paul