[fw-wiz] RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Mike McCandless (michaelat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 07:13:24 PDT

    Thanks for all the replies.  The change I believe I will make in my
    firewall rules is to explicitly block inbound 137-139 traffic.  My
    default iptables policy is to deny, and these are not ports I have
    opened up, so....they should be being blocked, but an extra rule to
    catch this up front won't hurt.

    I have to add one clarification to the scenario and apologize for not
    including this up front:  could running Samba (as a master browser/file
    server - not domain controller) be the source of the problem?  Are there
    some outbound ports I should be blocking when (I assume) Samba announces
    itself periodically as the master browser?