Re: [fw-wiz] RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Luca Berra (blucaat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 23:50:14 PDT

    On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 02:40:59PM -0400, R. DuFresne wrote:

    >depending upon the kinda of windows OS' behind your firewall, you might
    >wish to add 135-139, tc and udp, as well as 445, and 1433,1434.  Of course

    if you really want to block outgoing traffic from workstation put a
    proxy in the middle....

    >> I have to add one clarification to the scenario and apologize for not
    >> including this up front:  could running Samba (as a master browser/file
    >> server - not domain controller) be the source of the problem?  Are there
    >> some outbound ports I should be blocking when (I assume) Samba announces
    >> itself periodically as the master browser?
    samba announces itself periodically on the broadcast address of all
    connected interfaces and to addresses specified with the 'remote
    announce' smb.conf parameter.
    I don't believe samba uses netbios-ns lookups to resolve remote hosts
    connecting, but anyway noone should be connecting to your samba server
    from outside.

    as a last note i am also getting many probes on port 137 and 139, but
    they seem unrelated, i might try answering to netbios-ns lookups and see
    what happens, if i find a smaller beast than samba to use, that is.

    L.

    --
    Luca Berra -- blucaat_private
            Communication Media & Services S.r.l.