[fw-wiz] HOW TO Guide for testing firewalls?

From: Teal, Robert (RTealat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 12:03:44 PDT

    A non-profit I volunteer for is going to be buying software firewalls for
    their loaner laptops. I was wondering if anyone knows of a guide for testing
    firewalls. I'd like to know of some testing tools to scan ports, send
    different types of pings, emulate attacks and what I should look for in the
    logs. A step by step "how to" would be great.

    If you want to make sure I'm on the up and up, contact me. Thanks

    Robert Teal
    Manager, Information Services
    Drinker, Biddle & Reath
    415-591-7563
    robert.tealat_private

    This message contains information which may be confidential and
    privileged.  Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the
    message or any information contained in the message.  If you have
    received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail
    @dbr.com, and delete the message.

    Thank you very much