Re: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbeat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 08:41:30 PDT

    On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 08:36, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    > [...]
    > If you're hosting public resources behind the same firewall that's
    > protecting everything else in your enterprise, you've probably made a
    > questionable architectural decision.  If you're keeping state on say
    > inbound SMTP traffic, the question is "Why?"  If the 'Net as a whole can
    > connect to something, the state itself isn't going to do much good.

    Not for inbound connections, but doesn't a stateful firewall prevent
    non-legit outbound connections? If the firewall protecting a web server
    were stateless (read packet filter), the web server could establish
    connections to the outside with a source port of 80, and a backdoor
    would be able to connect to its master. However, if state is kept, and
    only inbound connections to port 80 are allowed, then the backdoor can
    not establish a connection to the outside using source port 80.

    To me it seems that stateless access control only protects my side from
    incoming traffic, but I also want to enforce access control on outbound
    traffic. In order to distinquish between a valid response, and a new
    connection, isn't state helpful?

    I understand that I could filter any packets from the web server (in
    above example) by denying packets with SYN flag set, so maybe above rant
    is only valid for UDP. But in general I believe state is useful in
    access control. Or am I way off?

    Regards,
    Frank