Re: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363 (fwd)

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 08:55:20 PDT

    "Daniel Hartmeier" wrote:

    > I think most people (falsely) assume that filtering statelessly is
    > faster with their rule sets. Even simple real-life filter policies put
    > create less load on the firewall when state is being kept.

    Just to corroborate: I agree 100% with this.

    In my experience (our stuff), ruleset lookup hits on stateless packet
    forwarding rules at the _very top_ of the ruleset is comparable to
    keeping state.

    Anything below the very top will start showing differences, and
    for someone that needs "maximum throughput", hits on rules 100+
    can be "painful".

    We should have PDFs that show the exact ratios for our gear lying around
    here somewhere, but people have left for the day and I can't seem to
    find them. :/

    Of course, there's also the issue of establishing new sessions.
    If you're opening and tearing down sessions at a fearful ratio
    (tens of thousands of states per second), you might be better off
    (if security allows it) to have maybe a dozen or so stateless
    packet packet forwarding rules at the top of the ruleset.

    Of course, with stateless filtering rules, you'll lose things like:
    - SYN flood protection
    - TCP ISN randomization
    - LOGGING!

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

    "Senex semper diu dormit"