Re: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: Philip J. Koenig (pjklistat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 11:50:41 PDT

    > Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:53:37 +0200
    > From: Daniel Hartmeier <danielat_private>
    >
    > On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:20:09AM -0500, Stephen Gill wrote:
    >
    > > In my opinion if a stateful firewall claims it can filter at rate X
    > > (64byte packets, etc...), it should be able to filter at that rate under
    > > all conditions.
    >
    > Obviously, for any X, when each packet is part of a TCP handshake, the X/2
    > (or /3, depending on how you count) newly established connections per
    > second will exhaust memory on the firewall after a certain amount of time.
    >
    > I don't think you meant 'be able to filter at that rate' to include
    > 'dropping legitimate connections when running out of memory', did you?
    >
    > > I'd like to learn some of the other methods being used for mitigation
    > > amongst vendors.
    >
    > Yes, that's what I'd find most intersting to read in vendor statements
    > myself. :)
    >
    > Daniel

    In addition to a syn-flood prevention thingy which at a user-
    configurable threshold will start dropping X percent of new SYN
    connections, Netscreen has a feature where you can limit the number
    of sessions a particular IP address can generate, ie:

        set firewall session-threshold source-ip-based 1000

    This would seem to be helpful for various things (ie code-red
    infected internal hosts), unless you're getting a random IP-address-
    spoofed incoming DoS.

    --
    Philip J. Koenig
    pjklistat_private