[fw-wiz] Re: Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 10:30:05 PDT

    Re "appliance" -vs- "software", I think it's very important to
    straighten out what distinction you mean. As others have said on
    this thread, there are at least two different classifications that
    some people mean --- neither of which is well-described by the above
    labels:-).

    Some folks, with an engineering point of view, are talking about
    the implementation technology in use --- there's the custom ASICs
    and embedded OS crowd versus the general-purpose OS on commodity
    hardware distinction. That one settles pretty simply. Custom
    harware/embedded OS firewalls are elaborated packet filters; this
    means that they're:

    	- often faster;
    	- generally less flexible in adapting to new protocols _if_
    	  protocol-specific analysis is required;
    	- generally easier to configure for new protocols if it's
    	  not;
    	- generally less secure in doing correct high-level analysis
    	  of complex protocols.

    and the complement of the above generalizations would then apply to
    the general-purpose-OS/commodity-hardware firewall plants ---
    although, sadly, some people fielding such firewalls are just doing
    packet filtering, and failing to take advantage of the bastion to
    run really good application-specific proxies.

    Then there's the other half, and this is more the market viewpoint,
    the manager's picture of things. From this point of view, the
    appliances may or may not be PCs running Linux under the hood, but
    they're sold pre-configured, with limited customization flexibility,
    and the vendor provides support for the resulting gizmo as a
    _firewall_. This appeals in shops where you don't have the in-house
    expertise to do a good job of building a firewall from scratch.

    In my own practice of firewall-building, anywhere I work, there's
    the in-house expertise to build a firewall from scratch. So I tend
    to advocate homebuilt bastions. Big firewall plants are
    multi-layered beasties, with different technologies in different
    layers; typically an outer layer --- perhaps only outside, perhaps
    on the outermost and innermost faces --- is doing packet filtering,
    an intermediate layer is pure application proxy bastions, and
    suitably placed here and there you have various sorts of
    service-providing servers. For these I tend to favour
    carefully-configured "appliances" for the packet filtering, just
    because it's a low-intelligence part of firewalling, where idiot
    appliances can compete effectively, and this is an easy way to get
    some substantial diversity all through your plant. If someone
    presents a firewall plant that's all one technology --- e.g. the
    same OS, or the same vendor appliance --- in all its layers, then
    reject it unless the setting is low sensitivity.

    -Bennett