Re: [fw-wiz] Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 14:29:00 PDT

    "Philip J. Koenig" wrote:

    > The classic argument seems to be that dedicated-ASIC-based
    > firewalls have at least a theoretical performance advantage.
    > Various people have been saying, for example, that Checkpoint's
    > days are numbered because stuff like Netscreen performs much
    > better.

    There is an interesting counter-argument:

    If you buy a "software" package and install on a piece of hardware,
    the ASIC based box will be much faster today, at ~5x the total price
    of the "homegrown" solution.

    However, in a little while, PCs will have caught up[1] or even bypassed
    that ASIC based box. You can replace the PC hardware yourself for $2K.
    How much is a new ASIC based box?

    /Mikael

    $std_disclaimer: I work for a firewall vendor whose software mainly
    runs on x86 architecture boxes.  This however does not mean that I had
    these ideas spoon fed to me.  I can think for myself, thankyouverymuch :)

    --
    Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
    Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

    [1] PCI-X motherboards are making it out into standard server chassis
        right now. PCI-X on a cool mobo does _really_ interesting things
        to network throughput.