Re: Increase in Sun RPC Scans

From: Jason Olsen (ferenat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:06:11 PDT

    > Anyone else seeing an increase in SunRPC (port
    111) scans?  Several networks
    > I manage are getting scanned from lots of different
    hosts.

    > The scans are random IP's on the same subnet, I
    guess to evade IDS?

    I saw a scan come in today on my home network (I
    have DSL with a /27 subnet).  My firewall intercepted
    it and blackholed the packets, and my routine log
    analysis showed me a trend.  I tracked it back to a
    Media One IP address, and am taking action by
    complaining to MO.  I doubt they'll do anything, but I'm
    going to make sure that they understand I'm not
    happy about it.