Administrivia - Thanks

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 17:54:49 PDT

    Hey folks,

    I wanted to drop a line to the list and thank you all for taking part, I
    tend to do this with individual contributors but have never done this to
    the list en masse.

    The Incidents list is the fastest growing and highest volome list
    SecurityFocus has. In fact it is growing even faster than Bugtraq. I think
    this is because the field of Incident Response in itself is becoming
    rapidly important and lists like this go a long way towards educating all
    of us. So, thanks to you all for lending your support to the list, if your
    an active poster or a passive reader I truly appreciate both.

    On a side small note I wanted to cover two list admin issues:

    The list takes about 200-300 posts a day. Obviously I approve only a
    fraction of these. If I approved everything the list would die a miserable
    death so I tend to moderate rather severely. If you ever have a post that
    did not get through and want to know why, please mail me. I do make
    mistakes and am always willing to repost if you feel strongly about it.

    2. Plugging your services.

    I tend to recieve quite a few plugs for services accross my lists and this
    is no exception. My take on this for the Incidents list is pretty down to
    earth. If you contribute on a *regular* basis and your service is not a
    fee based service I will allow you to plug your service at times. I will
    keep this very limited and it depends wholly on your participation in this
    forum. I am all for community but I take a really dim view of people
    attempting to leverage a community without returning value to it.

    If your service is commercial, I will not allow you to plug it unless your
    participation is pretty stellar.

    Again, thanks to you all.

    Cheers,
    -al