Re: Another unicode hacked box

From: Matt Scarborough (vexversaat_private)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 23:28:03 PDT

    On Tue, 8 May 2001 22:31:53 -0600, Jon Zobrist  wrote:

    >We've got a test server which was NT 4 SP6 IIS 4 no patches which was hit by
    >an attack pretty much identical to this one on securityfocus.
    >
    >http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/88/170407

    That is the BackGate kit.

    >The box was in the DMZ and completely open for internet parties.

    BackGate provides a platform for launching attacks internally and externally
    using its Wingate component.

    >It appears we were hit on March 6,7, and 8th, 2001...
    >The attacker attempted to deface our web pages by uploading index.html and
    >index.asp both of which include the crude english "f*ck USA Government" and
    >the message "f*ck PoinsonB0x", it also includes a contact email address of
    >sysadmincnat_private
    >
    >I'm not sure if this warrants contacting the FBI or not, it appears clean up
    >will be reinstalling completely.

    If the box has been hosting BackGate for a month perhaps the logs have info
    you or LE can use. There is an analysis of BackGate with some recovery options
    including viewing the "hidden logs" here
    http://www.incidents.org/react/unicode.php

    Matt 2001-05-09