Re: Another unicode hacked box

From: Johan Augustsson (johan.augustssonat_private)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 01:49:30 PDT

    Jon Zobrist wrote:

    > The attacker attempted to deface our web pages by uploading index.html and
    > index.asp both of which include the crude english "fuck USA Government" and
    > the message "fuck PoinsonB0x", it also includes a contact email address of
    > sysadmincnat_private

    I have cought an attempt to hack some of our webservers by the same
    guy/gang.
    They do not upload any files, they use a script that just simply uses
    the Unicode-hack to copy \WINNT\system32\cmd.exe to \inetpub\root.exe
    and then use root.exe to echo some text into the files default.htm and
    default.asp. The attack that i cought was comming from a compromised box
    in the USA.

    > I'm not sure if this warrants contacting the FBI or not, it appears clean up
    > will be reinstalling completely.

    Why bother? I don't think that the Chinese will give away any of their
    citizens to the USA.

    - Johan