Re: DNS ports and scans

From: Frijole (frijoleat_private)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 10:16:41 PDT

    There is one major downside to blocking TCP port 53 - some Microsoft clients
    will not be able to do host lookups properly. I have seen this on NT 4.0
    with OP4 installed. The SMTP service was polling the dns server using TCP,
    not UDP. Searching http://support.microsoft.com I found an obscure article
    (that I wish I had saved) which stated that according to the RFC, both TCP
    and UDP connections should be allowed on public DNS servers. Once I opened
    TCP, the SMTP was able to resolve properly and send messages.

    I have noticed in my DNS server log files that many of the NT boxes on our
    LAN do attempt to transfer zones, but I have not taken the time to
    investigate it. As transfers are *still* restricted on our DNS servers, we
    know that the NT box referenced above was not failing due to the inability
    to transfer a zone, but was using TCP instead of UDP to query the DNS
    server.

    Youn Gonzales
    System Administrator
    CLAS Net Inc.