RE: 'FrogEater'

From: Mike Batchelor (mikebatat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 15:44:52 PDT

    > At the moment I'm responsible for an ftp site which allows anonymous write
    > access to a directory to allow development partners to upload files.  They
    > have also been hit with warez activity similar to FrogEater, which 1K and
    > 1MB test files being uploaded, followed by various directories (.tmp,
    > tagged, 010305102214p etc.) being created and warez uploaded.  I wonder
    > whether there is any way (perhaps using network/host ids signatures) to
    > detect this sort of activity and block the intruding warez d00d,
    > or at least
    > alert a sysadmin?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Richard Bartlett
    > Hacker Immunity Ltd
    >
    > (I'm currently working on setting up permissions so the uploadable
    > directories are execute only; i.e. you can't see it in dir/ls, but you can
    > cd to it, and the dir names will be suitably obscure to prevent them being
    > guessed).

    I've been testing Chris Evan's new vsftpd server, with good results.  It
    solves this problem very neatly, no need to make the upload directory
    unreadable, or to play cat-and-mouse games with directory names.  Files
    uploaded by the anonymous user can be chowned to another user, and you can
    prohibit anonymously-created directories without prohibiting all anonymous
    writes.  Get it from:
    ftp://ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk/pub/linux/vsftpd-0.9.0.tar.gz.  I am probably
    going to put it into production RSN.  One of its best features is the
    ability to chroot some users but not others, and you never have to set up
    /dev trees and libraries in any chroot area.

    My current ftp servers run Wietse Venema's ftpd from his logdaemon package:
    ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/logdaemon-5.11.tar.gz.  It chmods
    anonymous files and directories to 0044, so the anonymous user can't do
    anything with them.  I see a lot of these directories appearing on my ftp
    server's upload directory too, but they are always empty.

    ---
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
     SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BOMB