Re: Strange email

From: Matt Scarborough (vexversaat_private)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 10:39:44 PDT

    On Tue, 15 May 2001 19:55:52 -0400, <jlewisat_private> wrote:

    >I received this email today.  The headers show it being sent from a machine
    >in Korea.  Everything in the headers is forged, but I just can't figure out
    >what the motive is behind it.  Also, at the end of the email, there was a
    >gif and I included the embedded html link.  Has anyone else seen this?    I
    >have munged the IP's.

    ---Begin E-mail jlewis received---
    >I'm currently writing a thesis on the network topology and would very much
    >appreciate your cooperation. I am trying to draw out a map of how the IPs
    >are distributed geographically. I realize that the IP registration data
    >often times have country/state/city information that are different from the
    >actual physical location of where the IPs are used.

    >Country: US
    >State: VA
    >City: MCLEAN
    >
    >Can you please tell me if this is the actual physical location of the IPs?
    >If not, can you please tell me the actual location?  Again, thank you for
    >your cooperation.

    ><http://211.33.122.158/icons/1/cal_1506.gif>

    Interesting that the E-mail sender may get some of her data when you open the
    message in an HTML rendering capable client, independent of whether you
    reply.

    When the cal_nnnn.GIF's are fetched from the server, logged client IP
    address(es) could be stored a database.

    http://211.33.122.158/icons/1/
    is filled with
    cal_1506.gif
    cal_1507.gif
    cal_1508.gif
    cal_1509.gif
    cal_1510.gif
    cal_1511.gif...ad nauseam.

    Jim Mackraz has a demo of an "HTML Read-receipt" here
    http://www.mackraz.com/trickybit/readreceipt/

    The concept might allow mapping/targeting the e-mail recipient's IP addr (when
    opening the message) to the netblock contact > e-mail address to which that
    message was sent.

    Matt Scarborough 2001-05-17