RE: DNS Floods to personal firewalls (mystery correlated)

From: Matt Scarborough (vexversaat_private)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 11:07:18 PDT

    Not complaining who's first, just letting you know their story seems to track.
    See below.

    On Wed, 16 May 2001 10:46:11 -0400, "Keith.Morgan" <Keith.Morganat_private>
    wrote:

    >Ok folks.  I've done some investigation with a number of providers.  Here's
    >what we believe is happening.  There's an organization called "mirror-image"
    >(see http://www.mirror-image.com running an application that "tries to find
    >shortest vector distance between http request, and http reply."  Thier
    >application used to use high ports, but apparently, they've recently changed
    >to using port 53.  I'll be contacting thier development team today to ask
    >why they would use port 53 (to avoid firewalls dropping the packets?) as
    >opposed to 80, or high ports.
    >
    >Every provider I contacted (the ones that were even vaguely cooperative)
    >hosted, or otherwise did business with these folks at mirror-image.  It
    >appears that the mystery may be solved.

    I ran this to ground with exactly the same results in July 2000. That was back
    when they were using the high ports.
    http://www.incidents.org/archives/y2k/070700.htm

    You may note from that tcpdump trace that they ran a server parallel to their
    DNS server. That parallel server first bounced a DNS Query Response off the
    high port of the requesting client. Then the real DNS server responded to the
    requesting client with a valid DNS Query Response.

    Seems like they determined the bandwidth overhead is far less with a SYN
    packet too.

    Matt 2001-05-17