Re: ICMP 8.255?

From: Ofir Arkin (ofir@sys-security.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 10:17:34 PDT

    Larry,

    Using an ICMP Echo request with a code field different than zero can be a
    scan attempt.
    If the targeted host answers and with the reply the code is changed to zero
    than the targeted host belongs to the Microsoft Windows based operating
    systems.
    This is an Active OS fingerprinting method I have discoverd few months ago.

    You can find more about if you'll read my research paper "ICMP Usage In
    Scanning" available from http://www.sys-security.com

    Ofir Arkin
    Founder
    The Sys-Security Group