Re: version.bind request

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 21:02:25 PDT

    On Tue, 29 May 2001 16:34:51 -0400 "Portnoy, Gary"
    <gportnoyat_private> wrote:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > I have Snort configured to alert on version.bind queries and the following
    > is what i've been seeing.
    > In the last week, I've seen about 10 version.bind queries to seemingly
    > random IP's on my subnet.

    I got so fed up with these a couple of weeks ago that I commented out
    the snort rule.  I assume these are yet another worm doing random
    probing, I'm currently seeing about 120 machine probing random addresses
    on our network with udp-53 (yes, they are the same as the ones you
    list).