RE: Identify Method

From: Ingersoll, Jared (JIngersollat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 05:18:03 PDT

    Jeff,

    I found the same attempt was made on some of our systems. I first noticed a
    scan
    in our firewall logs last Tuesday or Wednesday (5/22-5/23). After ftp
    service was detected, a login attempt was made by anonymous with password
    guestat_private We have no need for anonymous login and our servers are
    patched up to the latest security patch, so I didn't worry, just made note.
    I just assumed it was someone looking for anonymous ftp servers. However,
    given your information below, I beginning to suspect that it may be
    something more malicious. Perhaps it is just a program looking for anonymous
    ftp, but why try and created an *.asp file? Anyone else have some input?

    Jared