Dummies got a sample page

From: James Edwards (jedwardsat_private)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 10:40:45 PDT

    Today I discovered that the sample pages installed when IIS is
    installed had been defaced (Ya' know the standard "F*** USA
    Government"). Hadn't noticed earlier since the real pages for the web
    site were untouched. I noticed that the firewall installed on the NT
    4.0 SP6a server wasn't responding, and so I checked "Services". They
    had *all* been set to "Disabled", so naturally the firewall services
    weren't running.  The system has (and had) all of the current
    services packs and security patches installed. The site is running
    Cold Fusion. Any suggestions as to what flavor of attack was
    employed, and the best methods of countering it would be appreciated.

    TIA
    --
    Jim

    We cause accidents.