RE: ISP Filtering (Survey of Sorts)

From: Jason Lewis (jlewisat_private)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 17:55:34 PDT

    Part of the problem is that some of the larger ISP's have so many peers that
    it make it difficult to do egress/ingress filtering at the core.  Another
    concern is network performance...all those ACL's affect router performance
    and if they have to choose between a router upgrade and your filters.....
    guess what wins.

    I am aware of lists of ports that ISP's filter, but not lists of client
    requested filters.  I would imagine a good ISP would filter traffic to your
    pipe if you requested it.  If they are managing your equipment, I don't see
    why they wouldn't.  I manage my own equipment....Are you referring to my
    connection to my ISP on their equipment?

    Are these RFC1918 addresses spoofed?  It would seem that most ISP's would
    filter that address space, but sometimes it is the old "Someone else will do
    it" excuse.

    FWIW...you are dealing with Verizon.  In my experience, they don't have the
    level of customer service that you would expect from a company that large.

    I use C&W and they have been responsive to all my requests.  Let me qualify
    that and say I haven't asked for any filtering.  My BGP setup went rather
    smooth though.

    Jason Lewis
    http://www.packetnexus.com
    It's not secure "Because they told me it was secure". The people at the
    other end of the link know less about security than you do. And that's
    scary.