Re: R00t Kits

From: Dave Dittrich (dittrichat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 14:24:23 PDT

    On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Davis, Scott wrote:

    > I am in the process of writing a perl script that will look for known root
    > kits on a *nix systems.
    > 	A) Does anyone know if this script already exists ? (Don't want to
    > invent the wheel a second time)

    There are a couple.  "chkrootkit" is specific to various rootkits, and
    "ramenfind" is geared more towards Linux worm detection/cleanup.

    > 	B)  Does anyone know a site that has all of the know r00t kits
    > listed and what files to look for ?

    I don't know of one that claims to have *all known* rootkits
    (especially not trivial variants).  I just updated some links
    in the following paper, which should help you:

    	http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/faqs/rootkits.faq

    --
    Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
    dittrichat_private             University Computing Services

    PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt