Re: Increase in Sub7 scans

From: Justin Shore (macdaddyat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:11:54 PDT

    Generally speaking, most kids at home have more bandwidth to play with
    then they do at school.  The average school might have a T1.  Some might
    have a couple.  Most of the schools I've dealt with only have a 256, 512,
    or 768k frame-relay connection.  The ones that have a T1 to play with
    barely touch it.  I've gotten over 2Mb/sec out of my cable modem here in
    a podunk corner of Kansas.  I got even better from SWB DSL before I
    moved.  Dialup is on the decline for the most part.  DSL/Cable is on the
    rise.  That at least holds true to parents with kids or reasonably saavy
    college kids.  The only people I've found to be buying dialups are people
    who can't afford cable/dsl at the moment, are beginners and they don't
    think they need the glory of something faster, or they realize that all
    they'll do is send email and view a few webpages.  Most everyone else
    (that can get it) goes for something with a little more umph.  The
    University I currently work for only has 2 T1s.  We got the 2nd in
    December.  This summer we'll go to 6 I-MUX.  That's my take on the
    situation.

    Cheers,
      Justin

    FWIW, the number of port 111 probes I've logged have more the quadrupled
    since mid May.

    On 6/12/01 11:10 AM sarnoldat_private said...

    --
    Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
    Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

    Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.