RE: new iis worm: seeking signature

From: Jordan K Wiens (jwiensat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:23:28 PDT

    Most certainly.  Unfortunately, that approach is not always possible.  Many
    of the subnets here on campus use that exact method, and we (campus wide
    network services) work closely with them to help tailor filters and
    security to their exact needs, but two issues prevent us from using
    this sort of policy on a campus wide scale.  Firstly, we are an
    academic institution, and the academic community is noted for its
    openness and free flow of information.  That just doesn't fit too well
    with this type of access plan.  However, in most corporations, it's
    entirely appropriate, and definitely preferred to use that sort of
    model.  The second reason this is less feasible is the sheer size of our
    network.  I would suspect that any corporation of equivalent size to our
    campus would have a hard time using such a networking policy unless it was
    implemented very early on in their network usage.  Otherwise things get
    fractioned into each department, group, or division, and everyone develops
    their own networks, policies, all of which make one giant jumble too
    complicated to reduce easily with company wide restriction.  (re current
    US tax laws -- thankfully our networks are nothing like that!)

    Having said that, I agree with you that filtering first and allowing second
    is the best policy available.  In fact, we recommended to a department on
    campus yesterday that exact method as they were concerned with a recent
    security issue with one of their machines.

    I'll have to dig up my 2600; I read that article a few weeks ago on a
    plane ride (it was a 10 hour flight; the back pages of 2600 provide the
    perfect sort of distraction to keep me entertained) but I'll have to glance
    back over it.

    One caveat with this is that while this is the best general policy around,
    it is by no means a 'safe' system.  Servers will always be vulnerable.  As
    long as there are services available to the world, machines will be open.
    No amount of firewalling, filtering, or restrictions will stop the latest
    poorly written perl calendar script from making an entire machine (and
    subsequently, entire network) vulernable.  Which is why reading of the logs
    is mentioned in the article, and this is very important, but again, not a
    catch-all, just another step in the long process that is security.

    A very wise man once noted that "security is process, not a product."

    --
    Jordan Wiens
    UF Network Incident Response Team