Re: Huge outgoing ICMP flows

From: Bryan Andersen (bryanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 14:23:36 PDT

    Chris Ess wrote:

    > >  Hi.
    > >
    > >  Over the last few days, our outgoing traffic has increased tremendously.
    > > On examination of our Netflow logs, a couple of our hosts seem to be
    > > transmitting big amounts of data with source and destination port 0 to a
    > > small number of external hosts.

    > ICMP doesn't use ports.  It instead uses types and codes.  I've lost my
    > copy of the URL for iana's documents.  Would someone be kind enough to
    > post that?

    http://www.iana.org/numbers.html  Great refference link to
    keep around.

    > But type=0, code=0 (or is it the other way round?) is a ping.  If I'm
    > interpreting your table correctly, there are 6,575 pings registered from
    > one host and 5,735 from another.  So, yes, it is possible that these
    > machines are being used for an ICMP ping DoS (AKA smurf attack).
    >
    > I would check to make sure that this is only coming from a few hosts
    > rather than from all of them.  If you're getting ping traffic like that
    > originating from all hosts on your subnet, you are (probably) being used
    > for a DoS attack and you should configure your router to block external
    > broadcast packets.

    Ooo, forgot about broadcast addresses.  I've had my broadcast
    addresses blocked for solong I'd forgotten about them.

    --
    |  Bryan Andersen   |   bryanat_private   |   http://www.nerdvest.com   |
    | Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |