Re: netbios scanning coming from IANA's internal class B...?

From: Homer Simpson (sansstuffat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 20:26:47 PDT

    Hi.

    That network is, ideed, reserved address space.  You will find that
    Microsoft machines that are booting up and looking for their DHCP server
    (but unable to find it) will be given an IP address on this network.  This
    behaviour is exhibited in Win98, but not in Win95 or NT (and I doubt it
    happens in Win2K).

    I would suggest that your IDS machine is picking up stray or errant DHCP
    broadcast requests from some of your internal Win-Do'hs machines.