Re: any incident IRC?

From: Kurt Seifried (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 17:26:10 PDT

    > You might want to check out http://suidnet.org its a nice collection of
    IRC
    > servers communicating with each other and clients via encrypted tunnels.
    > Majority of the users are security addicts and unix users.

    They are still using self signed certs (making the whole ssl client thing
    rather pointless, if an attacker can sniff your connection he can certainly
    use dsniff to mangle it, or poison your dns cache and use dsniff). I wish
    they would at some point either build a proper cert hiearchy (so you can
    install a root cert and be done with it).

    CN = localhost
    CN = irc.obey.org
    OU = suidnet
    O = suidnet
    L = Los Angeles
    S = California
    C = US

    hint: not many people connect from localhost, you might want to put
    "losangeles.ca.us.suidnet.org" in there.

    And yes, I mentioend this to them ages and ages ago. If you're going to
    force people to use ssl the least you can do is  at least get it right on
    your end :P

    > Brian

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com