results of informal poll: school/hacking

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:11:00 PDT

    Several weeks ago, I asked if more security incidents occurred during the
    school year or during vacations, when students were more likely to be
    away from their connected schools.

    I got one response from someone who says the incidents of hacking
    attempts at his school goes down during the summer.

    I got two more responses from people who did not say that they have
    knowledge one way or another -- only that the reasoning is flawed, or
    that the original poster was talking about elementary school.

    So, with the one response with experience saying that summer time
    implies less bandwidth implies fewer attackers, that is about 100%. It
    is also a very small return. (And to think, my high school statistics
    teacher was pretty adamant that a minimum of 30 responses is required
    for good results. Only 29 to go! Hehe.)

    So, I guess we must wait for a more detailed study for conclusive
    answers. :)

    Cheers! Seth

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com