Re: Threat mail from russia (followup)

From: //Stany (stanyat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:59:13 PDT

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, jeff keith wrote:

    > Justin Kremer - CEO wrote:
    > >
    > > If you receive an e-mail like this, the FIRST thing to do is contact the
    > > bank given in the e-mail.
    > <snip>
    >
    > I did just that, contacting ABN AMRO Bank, and after getting
    > transferred around for a while, the person I finally spoke to indicated
    > that the account numbers mentioned in the email were invalid.

    Sadly, this being Russia (and field experience tells me that it's very
    similar in Bulgaria and other ex-Soviet Block countries), pretty much
    anything can be bought  or sold if you know the right people, and can meet
    the right price.

    I guess I am paranoid, but considering internet access in Russia is still
    very costly for a home user, a potential situation is that the cracker
    that sends out threat letters is a bank employee, that uses bank's
    internet connection to earn a bit of cash on the side.

    Then it gets interesting, and sadly it's not too far fetched.

    Oh, and yes, I speak from general experience of being born in USSR.

    > jak

    Signed:
    //Stany
    --
    +-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
    | "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com