Re: Printer exploit?

From: Vangelis Haniotakis (haniotakat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:56:46 PDT

    On 28 Jun 2001, John Leach wrote:

    > We've noticed a sudden influx of tcp 515 printer port scans over the
    > last month on nearly all of our boxes (different sites, different isps)
    >
    > We *do* have a *really* good HP colour laserjet, I guess the word got
    > out.

     Hmm, guess our printers must look tasty as well.

     We got hit by 3 different attackers today, all looking for port 515 on
    random IP's. A total of about 60,000 probes launched towards all of our
    class B network.

     Is this beginning to look a bit worrying?

    --
    Vangelis Haniotakis - Network & Communications Centre, University of Crete

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com