Weird scan on port 1214

From: Vangelis Haniotakis (haniotakat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:17:54 PDT

     Hi.

     I today installed a log watcher for our router logs - they show all
    incoming and outgoing connections, complete with source and dest ports,
    timestamps, packet count, and size - no IP flags or protocol info,
    though. :(

     So, the watcher alerts us if any single host tries a large (defined as
    >3000) number of connections within, say, half an hour. Most normal hosts
    don't go over about 1,000 connection in this time frame. Seems a decent
    heuristic for a first check for evildoers, it won't pick up "slow" scans
    and the like but it's a start.

     Which leads us to later tonight, when the watcher starts throwing some
    alerts. Seems like one of our hosts (a win2k machine if we believe nmap)
    is connecting to lots of other hosts, on port 1214. Approx. 25,000
    connections to distinct, random-looking hosts, for that single port
    number, with a packet count of 3-4 packets each connection.

     This has been going on over a time frame of 3 hours  now, and no signs
    of slowing down. Wish I could pull this thing off the net myself -
    unfortunately this will have to wait till morning :(

     Now, port 1214 is reserved for what is called  "Intelligent
    Communications Protocol" on tcp and KAZAA on udp. I don't know what the
    first one is, I do know that Kazaa is a file sharing thingy though.

     The small packet count reminds one of a vulnerability scan. Has there
    been any vulnerability known re: kazaa (the most probable target)?

     Thank you all in advance for your time, and sorry for making such a
    lengthy post.

    --
    Vangelis Haniotakis - Network & Communications Centre, University of Crete

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com