Re: Why would someone DoS a free-lance writer?

From: Sara Brigid Gaffney (irishelfat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 15:21:39 PDT

    I discovered that somehow that day both my firewalls had somehow
    become misconfigured - thus, no alert.   I have a ADSL not a dial up
    so the IP does not change.  I've never used Gnutella.  I have all
    file sharing unchecked and have rigorous and specific rules set on my
    firewalls.  Can't help it - I was hacked once, big time.

    Two things happened just before this:  I had dl free PGP.  Perhaps I
    mis-configured it when installing and that affected the others?  I
    deleted PGP for now and checked at www.grc.com and I was back to
    complete stealth mode.

    Someone (else) mentioned that packets are always being sent - to
    indicate perhaps that I should have seen some activity on my packet
    sniffer.  I use CommView and it does NOT show packet capture when I
    am not actively using the internet, i.e., when I'm on the net but not
    surfing, etc. CommView is quiet.

    Oh yes, the other thing that happened directly before this.  I was
    having a slightly heated conversation with someone who I doubt would
    harm me ---- but is a bit mischievous & has hacking skill.  Probably
    a coincidence.  Who knows?   I was just too curious not to seek some
    answer here.  Thanks for the many replies.  I appreciate all the info
    and will try to hone my TP/IP skills or lack thereof.

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:25:35 -0400, Jim Starke wrote:
    >Sara Brigid Gaffney wrote:
    >>
    >> I had my packet sniffer running on this solitary Windows PC but I
    >> wasn't on the net.  Suddenly I noticed I was getting hit multiple
    >> times a second.  They were coming from a range of sources but
    >> targeted one port, 6346.
    >
    >Possibly the previous person who had the IP Address that you were
    >assigned when you connected to your ISP was running Gnutella. It
    >wasn't
    >a DoS but just the fallout of other computers thinking that you were
    >sharing files because they didn't know the previous user
    >disconnected.
    >I'm presuming that you are assigned a dynamic ip address by your
    ISP.

    >Normally disconnecting and dialing back into your ISP will fix the
    >problem because it will assign you a new ip address.
    >
    >--
    >Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
    >http://www.jcsmall.com/homepage

    >-------
    >

    >This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
    >For more information on this free incident handling, management
    >and tracking system please see:
    >
    >http://aris.securityfocus.com

    Sara
    ~~~~
    "One must still have chaos in oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."  Nietzsche