code red - c:\notworm

From: Soeren Ziehe (robintonat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 09:38:00 PDT

    Hello,

    about c:\notworm ...

    I re-read the analysis from EEye ('Full analysis of the .ida "Code Red"
    worm.') and the message from ecchienat_private
    Also I had a look at the worm code (http://www.eeye.com/html/advisories/
    codered.zip)

    He're my theory onto c:\notworm and it significance to detect an "code
    red" infection.

    The EEye analysis does not mention c:\notworm being created, but a check
    for it's existence.
    The message from ecchien does mention its creation, but no check for its
    existence.
    The worm code contains references to CreateFile function. [I'm NOT into
    assembler, therefore I cannot discern anything else with a decent degree
    of certainty]

    So a)
    c:\notworm is a safe guard prohibiting "code red" to go astray during
    development
    or b)
    c:\notworm is created after infection of a maschine by "code red".

    If a) there's no significance to "code red" detection.

    If b) each maschine should have c:\notworm after infection.
    Thus reinfection should NOT occur as long as c:\notworm stays present.
    So each maschine having c:\notworm was at some point in time infected.

    Can anyone "in the know" or just with more assembler skills provide the
    answer to this question?
    It's not that important, but I'd like to find out. ;-)

    Robinton

    --
    I've asked for kindness and ultimate truth. Still waiting for the answer.