Re: Code Red, anyone?

From: S. Staniford (stuartat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 20:06:22 PDT

    :-)

    As I write this it's about three hours after midnight UTC.  Even if there was
    going to be a significant infection, we'd only be about one doubling time into
    it - probably still below the radar screen.  Exponential ramp-ups take a while
    to show up as they build to the point of visibility, and then grow rapidly.
    However, I share your scepticism of the recent hype on this particular worm.
    Seems to me most of the infectable systems will have been patched since last
    time around, and assuming it takes off at all, the spread will be significantly
    slower and a lot fewer systems will be affected.  (Unless someone has a new toy
    to let loose).

    Stuart.