Code Red Revision

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 22:00:39 PDT

    Evening all,

    I had planned on sending out a thanks this evening to all of the
    contributors (in terms of logs) who came through on the Code Red (revision
    2) surge last week. Regrettably it looks like I will have to wait due to a
    new variant or rather new worm on the loose.

    As some of you know a new worm has been released into the wild which uses
    the same exploit - the Microsoft Indexing Server/Indexing Services ISAPI
    Buffer Overflow Attack (http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2880). However,
    this is most likely not a revision of the initial Code Red worm but a new
    worm which simply uses uses the same entry point. It carries an actual
    malicious payload and has a number of other very interesting features. The
    SecurityFocus ARIS Team and eEye Digital Security will be releasing an
    in-depth writeup in the next hour or two with technical details as well as
    information about it's spread to date.

    As opposed to filling the list with logs of attacks I will reserve the
    list for discussion of the worm's payload and features - after we post an
    analysis. So very shortly. Until then, it would be fantastic if you can
    send your log files to:

    aris-reportat_private

    Because we have caught this very early we plan on starting the
    notification process tonight. We sent close to 400,000 notifications
    against Code Red 1 & 2  previously - hopefully because we are on top of
    this our notifications now will help address the situation much, much
    faster.

    If you would like to send offending IP data - Please send it in the
    following format:

    IP ADDRESS DATE/TIME

    Or something similar to this. Please ensure the information is contained
    to IP address and date per line as we do our notification automatically
    and our system needs to be to understand the los you send us.

    We will be posting more shortly.

    -Al

    VP Engineering
    SecurityFocus.com