Re: CRv2 multiple scans from same source IP

From: corecode (corecodeat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 03:09:12 PDT

    At 12:39 AM 8/6/2001, John Davidson wrote:
    >My W2k IIS logs show 3 CRv2 scans from the same source IP within the same
    >minute.

    which worm is attacking? please don't mistake the names!
    there is:
    code red original, discovered around the 13th of July (CRv1): has a damaged
    PRNG
    code red with patched PRNG, discovered aroung the 16th of July (CRv2)
    both can infect one system multiple times, but possibility to get double
    attacks is much more probable from CRv1 than CRv2

    NOW: CodeRedII (this name is easily mistaken with CRv2, so i would suppose
    another name: i stared calling it ida_root since my first analysis on 5th
    aug, 7:34 GMT)
    this worm alway only infects one host _once_. it checks for double infection.
    it could generate the same ip address again in it's PRNG but the chance
    this happening is near 0.

    furthermore ida_root (or whatever you call it) concentrates on class A and
    class B networks 7/8 of the time...

    cheerz
       corecode