Re: CodeRedII worm..

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 00:19:01 PDT

    Pluto <plutoat_private> wrote:

    > On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 04:38:55AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    > > (Sorry for the cross-posting)
    > >
    > > Given that initial analysis of the CodeRedII worm indicates that it leaves
    > > a backdoor laying around, I hereby request that those people who made
    > > lists of infected hosts available last time *NOT* do so again.

    I wholeheartedly support Valdis' request in this matter (and made the
    same request in private to the incidents list moderator).

    > I have seen no checks for root.exe so far. But Nessus already has a
    > codered_x.nasl, congrats to this speed!
    >
    > # special root.exe from CR2
    > alert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg: "CodeRedII root.exe"; flags: A+; content:"root.exe"; depth:624; classtype:attempted-admin;)

    Not wishing to be offensive (I know -- some will say it's my nature
    and unavoidable) but such a signature shows an entirely clue-devoid
    understanding of the real nature of the backdooring that CoreRed.C
    (or whatever you want to call it does).

    I know this is a full-disclosure list, but I will not publicly
    release for the delight of the dipshit kiddies how to circumvent such
    inadequate IDS rules.  (This is not an attack against Nessus and its
    makers -- I'm sure many (if not all) other IDS makers/maintainers
    have added similar, and similarly flawed, rules for just this issue
    in the lasty 12 hours or so.  If you verifiably work for or an IDS
    vendor or maintain a freeware/open-source/etc IDS and do not
    understand the utter inadequacy of such a simplistic rule, feel free
    to contact me for the details (there may not be anything you can do
    to "fix" this without getting horrendous false positive rates but at
    least I can safely explain to you why the above is grossly
    inadequate.)

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.