RE: disinfection tool

From: Mark Ng (marknat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 05:19:52 PDT

    Perhaps a very controversial viewpoint is using the backdoor installed by the
    copycat code red worm to patch these systems.  The majority of sysadmins who
    by now haven't patched (or unmapped the script mappings from) their systems
    are mostly ignorant anyway.  Perhaps a couple of honeypot systems built to
    automatically connect back, patch and reboot.

    The only issue that creates is the problem of transparent proxies.  Not sure
    how you'd solve that one.

    This may eventually be the only way of actually getting rid of code red
    completely.  If we live in a an ideal world, we'd eventually get the idiots
    to listen.  However, I find that unlikely.

    Mark