Code Red II - Dead Thread

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 09:26:56 PDT

    Hey all,

    Well we have suffered through yet another worm attack and the Internet
    still seems to be humming along. Granted this worm was more aggressive and
    better written than other win32 based worms we have seen, it is none the
    less more or less a non-issue now. We will see it continue it's activity
    for quite some time in the future, in fact if ARIS is any indication it
    does not seem to be abating just yet. However, the conversation around it
    is going to stop here.

    If you have something new and previously not discussed here I will post it
    through, otherwise though let's move on and wait for the next worm to come
    our way. I suspect we will not have to wait too terribly long.

    In terms of the ARIS notification program we set up, we are stopping it
    now. We recieved logs for well over 200,000 infected hosts and notified as
    such. However, at this point we seem to running into alot of overlap and
    admins do not need us sending them mail if they have already recieved it.
    To further complicate the situation about 50% of the hosts we notified
    against for this version of the worm had already recieved a notification
    for the last worm. Meaning they were infected, and two notifications later
    are still infected. You can still notify if you are an ARIS Analyzer user,
    but our mail in program to aris-reportat_private is now done, for
    now.

    Thankyou *very much* for the thousands of people who sent in logs, your
    help is deeply appreciated here. I wish I could name you all but this
    message would be 200 pages long if I did. Your contributions are
    appreciated.

    Cheers,
    -al

    VP Engineering