Re: Code Red II - Dead Thread

From: Dave Laird (dlairdat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 10:22:32 PDT

    Good morning, everyone...

    I wrote the following text file for a number of clients this morning who
    have *still* been seeing their Cisco 67x DSL Routers get mysteriously
    punched offline by the Code Red Worm. [Standard Disclaimer] This is *not* an
    "official" solution by any means, but is something that, thus far, I have
    found to be working on those Cisco 67x units which still have problems, even
    after upgrading to the latest CBOS. DL

    ***
    Now, regarding the Cisco 675 DSL Router anomalies which have kept support
    busy the last few days, I tentatively believe I have found a workable
    solution for those systems which otherwise cannot be fixed using a simple
    upgrade to CBOS Version 2.4.1, which does appear to work in some instances.

    I currently am running CBOS Version 2.4.1, the latest release, which was
    installed last Monday. Since that time I have had to manually power down the
    675 unit eight or nine times, due to lock-ups which I believe are caused by
    the Code Red Virus. In *every* instance when a power-down was mandated, at
    the instant the 675 locked up, there was a scan (similar to those above)
    taking place in the Apache log files. There were *no* exceptions to this
    rule, which adds credibility to my belief that the two are inexorably
    related to one another.

    While there have been a number of parties in the various newsgroups/mail
    lists that have reported that upgrading to the latest CBOS has "cured" their
    lock-up problems, they are clearly not in the majority. A number of others
    reported that, with the new CBOS installed, although it still locked up the
    system, they were able to telnet to their 675's and thus perform a remote
    reboot of the 675. Others, such as myself, found that the upgrade had little
    to no discernable effect on the lock up anomaly.

    I began attempting alternative solutions *only* when I had exhausted all
    conventional means of addressing this problem, long after both Qwest and
    Cisco more or less said "I don't know a solution to your problem", which
    took place over a week ago.

    Since the Web interface built into the Cisco 675 seemed to be the only
    affected portion, my first attempt, within the CBOS, was to limit the IP
    addresses which could connect to it, since the interface was disabled since
    May of 2001.

    Following up on a tip by a network engineer in one of the mailing lists, I
    first tried setting my connection in the CBOS to a non-existent Class C
    address, which in theory would therefore reject any other attempts to
    connect to the web interface. Here is the entry screen by which you reach
    that point in the CBOS:

    cbos#set web
    Error: Possible Parameters
    disabled        Turn off application
    enabled         Turn on application
    port            Set Application Port Number
    remote          Set Remote IP Address

    There is some evidence that this reduced the number of "lock-ups", although
    they did persist once this change was put in place last Thursday morning.
    Further follow-ups to the mailing list also suggested that I was not the
    only person for whom this technique did *not* work, and hence several
    subscribers began testing the port itself, to see if perhaps there was an
    additional method open to us.

    Early yesterday afternoon, after a thorough discussion with various members
    of the mailing lists and newsgroups, I set the port assignment for the Web
    interface inside the CBOS to a non-standard, unused port from the IANA list.
    In this case, port 5 is not used by my system, save for in the web interface
    of my Cisco 675 unit. Due to the fact that the logging inside the CBOS unit
    is marginal to almost nonexistent, there is no way to track the number of
    attempts that have been made to connect to port 80 (the web default) on the
    675 unit since the port assignment was changed. As a secondary precaution, I
    also have firewalled port 5 in my ipchains firewall.

    Thus, as of yesterday afternoon, here are the setting which I have deployed
    in the 675 CBOS, which I feel have stopped the lock-up problems, at least
    for the time being:

    WEB Configuration
    Is not enabled
    Currently accepts connections only from 10.0.0.100
    Currently uses port 5

    Comments and/or input into this ongoing process is always gratefully
    accepted.

    Dave
    --
    Dave Laird (dlairdat_private)
    The Used Kharma Lot

     Fortune Cookie:
    If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.