RE: MS tool to disinfect Code Red II

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:41:51 PDT

    There was a bug in the previous version because of the following IIS
    behavior - when you put a virtual root mapping into the registry, IIS
    will pick it up when it starts. If you then come along and take it out
    from the registry, IIS will put back the virtual roots that it has in
    it's metabase when it starts. This has one beneficial side-effect - if
    you haven't removed /Scripts or /MSADC previously, IIS will overwrite
    the worm's wide-open permissions with the permissions in the metabase,
    but it does mean that you can't get rid of the mappings simply by
    undoing the damage in the registry.

    There will be a new version on the site shortly that removes
    worm-generated mappings from the metabase.

    Hopefully, this should not need to be repeated, but I'll repeat it
    anyway. If your system got the worm and was internet-exposed, a full
    rebuild is the only way to assure you're rid of both the worm and any
    other attackers. If the system was internal, then you need to make a
    risk-benefit trade-off yourself, and because some attackers are
    internal, it is still best to rebuild. Because some people might have a
    lot of systems to go clean up, the hope is that the tool will help in
    the interim.

    ecurity/tools/redfix.asp