CodeRed, the Media, and people

From: E. Larry Lidz (ellidzat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 11:12:41 PDT

    As a security person at a University, I've been dealing with a lot of
    people over the last few weeks who have had their machine compromised
    by one of the worms du jour, and I'm beginning to notice a disturbing
    trend:

    People *like* being infected by Code Red.

    You heard me right. People like it. Not the system administrators or
    the security people who have to do the clean-up work, but the users of
    the machines. They like it.

    It's exciting. *They* were infected by the Code Red Worm. It was on the
    *news* and it effected *them*. They can go home and tell all of their
    friends and family. Sure, their machine was off the network for a few
    days because they didn't take care of it, but it's well worth it for
    the story that they get to tell.

    Now, that all said, this isn't the case for most of the people we've
    dealt with -- most people recognize the seriousness of the situation
    and have handled it professionally. But there are people who have
    reacted like this. When they do, we politely point out to them that
    something *bad* has happened to their machine and they need to be more
    careful.

    It's probably just human nature and there's nothing we can do about
    it... but it's something to remember when talking to the media -- if
    you create excitement about something, people will be excited about
    it when it happens to them.

    -Larry

    ---
    E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: (773)702-2208
    Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   (773)702-0559
    Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
    PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml