Code Red(s) being confused with sadmind/IIS worm?

From: Stephen W. Thompson (thompsonat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 14:09:40 PDT

    Follow my line of thinking here.

    In many cases, we're getting reports of Code Red for machines that are
    not running Win2k -- Win9x or a unix variant.  We jump to the
    conclusion that the reports were in error.

    However, lots of the reports are not coming from signature-checking
    sources (e.g., IDS), but rather are simply seen to be hitting port
    80/tcp on a machine that isn't a (perhaps public) webserver.

    So are a lot of the reports simply a distraction?  I don't think so.
    I've noticed we have a good amount of the sadmind/IIS worm presence on
    our network.  (See http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-11.html for
    one writeup.)  Recall that this is the worm that hits Solaris boxes
    with a sadmind buffer overflow, and then those machines go after IIS
    with a Unicode directory traversal vulnerability.

    If I'm correct, that implies a) sadmind/IIS is more prevalent than
    we'd realized and, possibly b) that there might be a variant of
    sadmind/IIS that succeeds on non-Solaris machines unlike the original
    variant.  Any corroboration on (b) from anyone?

    En paz,
    Steve, (tired) security analyst
    --
    Stephen W. Thompson, UPenn, ISC Information Security, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
    thompsonat_private    URL=http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html